Waiting on Wednesday - The Heart of Betrayal

In the farthest corner, I will find you...


21569527 (1)Perhaps that quote seems unsettling without context, but these were one of the last words we heard from Rafe in the first book of The Remnant Chronicles, The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson. Rafe really grew on me at the end of the book, and I wholeheartedly ship him and Lia, our MC, hoping that I'm not getting ahead of myself.
Intrigue abounds in this hotly anticipated sequel to The Kiss of Deception!

Held captive in the barbarian kingdom of Venda, Lia and Rafe have little chance of escape. Desperate to save her life, Lia's erstwhile assassin, Kaden, has told the Vendan Komizar that she has the gift, and the Komizar's interest in Lia is greater than anyone could have foreseen.

Meanwhile, nothing is straightforward: there's Rafe, who lied to Lia, but has sacrificed his freedom to protect her; Kaden, who meant to assassinate her but has now saved her life; and the Vendans, whom Lia always believed to be barbarians. Now that she lives amongst them, however, she realizes that may be far from the truth. Wrestling with her upbringing, her gift, and her sense of self, Lia must make powerful choices that will affect her country... and her own destiny.

Truth be told, I haven't read the description. There's been many a time when the description really gives away significant parts of the story, or events that I wish I could have learned about myself. Because of this, when it comes to reading the second, third, fourth, eighth book in a series, I am loath to read the description.

But! Mary E. Pearson did not let me down in The Kiss of Deception. Her writing style was one of the best I encountered this year, and the characters were all very likeable, even the ones I didn't want to like. I don't feel like I'm missing out because having no idea what's going to happen makes me more excited for it!

....Which is hard because The Heart of Betrayal doesn't release until July 7th, 2015.

Is it summer yet?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author