Shatter Me - Review

Moving forward is the only way to survive...


It's 7:00AM, my roommates are just waking, and I haven't been able to sleep all night. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi has kept me up through these dark hours, and I can't say that I mind.




I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Shatter Me has been on my TBR for over a year now, and I'm seriously wanting to slap myself for not reading it earlier. I finally started reading this book after watching Epic Reads gush and blush over a certain chapter of Ignite Me, which is the third book in the Shatter Me series. And even without having read it yet, I get it.

I Get It. (I am, of course, assuming it involves Juliette and Adam because I am the proud captain of that ship and I dare it to sink.) The chemistry between Adam and Juliette was just spectacular. It's the kind that needs heavy protective gear and fire extinguishers at the ready, folks, things got steamy. Juliette is fierce and good and sweet and very vulnerable. She's a mixture of gentle sass that had me backing her up with the finger snap. Adam is like my dream guy. He's this amazing combination of strength and soft and the things he says make me wonder how Juliette's knees can hold her up in his presence.

There weren't many secondary characters in this book, but they are coming into play. We're meeting a whole new world of potential, which means more characters. I'm also half in love with Kenji - but shh, don't tell Adam.

I binge-read this book in less than a day because it's a book that has this amazing pace and momentum that had be flipping through pages like I was trying to give myself a razor burn. The plot was great, but it was really the tempo of the book that got me addicted. Also, the writing style was just perfection. Juliette's voice is so distinct and the strikethrough was such a brilliant technique; it's one of my favorite things about this book.

I think I found my new favourite series.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author